Gingivitis and Periodontitis
How Your Check-Up With Your East Greenbush Dentist Helps
Preventing and Treating Gum Disease
- Use an anti-bacterial mouthwash after brushing to wash away any “left-over” bacteria
- Quit Smoking. Smoking damages gums, providing a habitable environment in which bacteria flourishes
- Dr. Alexander can scrape away plaque at the gum line
What To Do About Periodontitis
- The first step is for a dentist to remove plaque and tartar from below the gum line. You may need a local anesthetic so you don’t feel pain.
- Next, your dentist may prescribe an antibiotic to prevent infection. Some people, may need periodontal surgery to fold back gum tissue. Periodontal surgery can also treat deeper pockets of infection.
- Your dentist or periodontist may need to do a procedure called grafting. For that, he takes tissue from one part of your mouth (such as the roof) to replace gum tissue that has eroded, exposing the roots of your teeth.